Did someone say loaded baked potatoes for breakfast? Yes, this traditionally dinner staple is just as good first thing in the morning with some delicious eggs. It is quick, and easy and guaranteed to be a new breakfast must-have!
First, thoroughly wash 2 russet potatoes. I love the skin of the potato, so make sure you get all the dirt off because we will be leaving the skin on. I find the skin always adds flavor to my skillet.
Dice up your potatoes into small cubes about 2 cm. Additionally, chop up 1/2 white onion into small pieces as well. In a cast iron, heat up some oil on high heat. Throw in your cubed potatoes first. For a seasoning mixture, I used 1 tablespoon of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Cook the potatoes until they are halfway done. Once they are halfway cooked, add your onion and bacon to the hot skillet. Cook these all together until your bacon is nice and crispy. You can also cook the bacon first before the potatoes and take it out if you want to do it that way. I did not find any difference in the outcome of the dish.
Once your bacon, onions, and potatoes are cooked, reduce the heat and makes holes in the potatoes for an egg. Crack 4 eggs into the sections and take a lid to cover. We want these to cook on lower heat and gently steam the tops. My eggs only took about 6 minutes to cook.
I also love a runny egg, so you can cook these a little longer to ensure a more cooked yolk. When everything is cooked, add some sour cream or creama to the dish and some green onion! Enjoy!
Loaded Potato Breakfast Skillet
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 White Onion
- 5-6 Slices Bacon
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream or Creama
- Green Onion
- 1/2-1 Tbsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- First, thoroughly wash your potatoes.
- Cut your potatoes into small cubes.
- In a hot cast iron skillet, add your potatoes and seasonings. Cook the potatoes until halfway done.
- To the skillet, add diced onion and diced bacon.
- Cook everything and make 4 wells in the skillet.
- Once everything is cooked, reduce the heat from high to medium and crack in 4 eggs.
- Add a lid and cook eggs until desired consistency.
- Remove the lid and add sour cream and green onions!
Are you sure these seasonings are correct? One tablespoon of each seasoning seems excessive for this dish!
Staley Lane says
I LOVE lots of flavor, but if that is too much, definitely reduce to 1/2 tbsp or even 1 tsp. Season to your liking.