Tater Tots and crispy Mozzarella sticks meet in this food fusion! This is the best of both worlds of fried potatoes stuffed with melty mozzarella. This recipes is only 5 ingredients!
First, we need to get our potatoes ready. Wash and peel your potatoes and cut the russet potato into thirds. We are going to parboil these. This means that we are not going to boil these all they way. We want to cook them partially and finish cooking them in the frying oil.
To test if the potatoes are ready, take a fork or knife and gently pierce the potato. If the utensil goes directly through the middle and comes out easily, the potato is over cooked. You want the utensil to go through the middle but have slight resistance. Boil for about 10 minutes.
Once the potatoes are done let them cool slightly otherwise they will be too hot to the touch. Next using a grater, grate your potatoes. To your cooled, grated potatoes, add your seasoning of choice. I used 1 tsp each of salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Crack in 1 egg and 1 Tbsp of cornstarch.
Mix all of this together. Cut some mozzarella cheese sticks into small pieces. take some potatoes and wrap it up around the cheese. Next, fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve with Ketchup! I got about 18 tater tots out of this recipe!
Crispy Mozzarella Cheese Stuffed Tater Tots
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes
- 4-5 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tsp Each: Salt, Paprika, Garlic Powder
- Wash and peel your russet potatoes.
- Cut your potatoes into 1/3rds and parboil. Boil only for about 10 minutes.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly before handling.
- Grate the parboiled potatoes. To the potatoes, add 1 egg, 1 tbsp cornstarch, and your seasonings. Mix.
- Cut pieces of mozzarella into small cubes. Form a tater tot shape and wrap around a cheese piece.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.