Burgers are delicious, but patty melts are my favorite. There is something about the crispy sourdough and melty cheese that makes the perfect combination. This recipe is so easy and only requires one pan!
First, you want to dice your jalapeños and white onion. In a skillet, sauté in some butter until they are golden and caramelized. Next remove them from the pan.
Take your beef patties and press firmly down into the hot pan. We want to have it be “smashed” down because it will be thinner, easier to cook, and the edges will be nicely caramelized. While your patties are cooking, season with your favorite seasoning. The most basic version is salt and pepper. I used a steak seasoning to add some extra flavor.
Once your beef patties are cooked, remove them from the pan and wipe the grease down with a towel. Cut your sourdough into bread slices and butter each side. In the clean skillet, place them down side by side. We are building the sandwich sides at the same time and will fold it together.
On one side, place your patty down and one slice of pepper jack cheese. On the otherwise, we are going to reverse the order and lay down the cheese first then the patty. This helps when we fold it, it will alternate cheese and patty.
On each side of the melt, add your pepper and onions. Top with some sriracha mayo, and we are going to close our sandwich. To make the sriracha mayo, just mix two parts mayo and two parts sriracha.
Once we close our sandwich the cheese should be melted and the bread golden brown. Cut your sandwich and enjoy!
Spicy Jalapeño Patty Melt
- 2 Hamburger Patties
- Sourdough Bread
- 2 Jalapeños
- 1/2 Small White Onion
- 2 Slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 Tsp Burger or Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- Finely dice your jalapeños and white onion
- In a hot skillet, add your butter, jalapeños, and white onion. Sauté them until they are caramalized. This will only take a few minutes.
- Once they are cooked, take them out and set them aside. Get the skillet nice and hot and add your hamburger patties. We want to smash them down so they are nice and thin.
- While the patties are cooking, add your preferred seasoning to the patties.
- Once the patties are cooked, remove from the skillet and wipe down the excess grease with a paper towel.
- Butter your sourdough bread and place them down in the skillet. To one side, add your patty, then a slice of pepper jack. On the otherside, add your cheese first, then your patty. This will make the cheese and patties alternate.
- While the sandwich is still open faced, add your pepper and onions to each side and some sriracha mayo.
- To make the sriracha mayo, add two parts mayo to two parts sriracha.
- Once the bottom of the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, carefully fold the sandwich together. Take it out of the skillet and enjoy!