I have tried a very VERY wide variety of chicken wings. In fact, I truly love wings. There are endless sauce combinations that taste delicious ranging from classic buffalo, to tangy BBQ, to garlic parmesan. However, one flavor I do not see very often is Jerk chicken. Jerk chicken is bold, spicy, and full of Caribbean Jamaican inspired flavor. With just a few simple ingredients, you too can get this delicious flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
First we need to make the marinade. This is really simple and pacts a powerful punch! I used a simple blender, but you can use a blender or food processor. To your blender add the following: soy sauce, habanero, ginger, green onion, lime juice, garlic, allspice, dried thyme, cracked black pepper, and cinnamon. If you need to thin it out a bit, add a couple of tablespoons of water.
Give this sauce a blend. Now we are going to divide our sauce into 2 portions, one for the marinade and 1 for extra sauce to dizzle on top. split the sauce in half. For the first half, pour over chicken wings in a large bowl and cover. You can marinade your wings from 1 hour-1 day.
For the second part of the sauce, place into a small sauce pan and warm up. Once the sauce comes to a simmer, add butter, a slurry ( cornstarch + water) and honey. Reduce the heat and let it slowly thicken. Let this cool slightly and it will be a thicker consistency with a subtle sweetness from the honey that will cut the heat.
You can oven bake these wings at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. I prefer the grilling method because I love the slight char of the grill. It goes so well with the jerk chicken flavor. Grill your wings about 6 minutes a side.
Remove from the heat and toss in a large bowl. Pour over the second part of the sauce that is thickened and a titch sweeter. After you toss your wings, plate with fresh lime. Enjoy this bold flavor that will have the biggest of wing enthusiasts singing their praises!
Spicy Grilled Jerk-Chicken Wings
- 18-24 Bone-In Chicken Wings
- Fresh Lime Wedges
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce (Tamari GF Substitute)
- 2 Limes (Juiced)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger
- 3/4 Cup Green Onion
- 2 Habaneros
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tsp Each: Allspice, Cinnamon, Dried Thyme, Black Pepper
Jerk-Wing Sauce Add-Ins
- 1 Tbsp Slurry (Cornstarch and water premixed)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- In a blender, mix the Jerk-sauce marinade ingredients together. If sauce is too thick, add in some water 1 tbsp at a time to thin it out a bit.
- Portion the sauce out into two bowls. One for the marinade, one for the sauce.
- For the marinade, place in a bowl with raw wings and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Marinade 1 hour-1 day.
- In the second bowl with the sauce, place into a small sauce pan. Heat to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry and honey. Stir and reduce heat.
- Let the sauce thicken and cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Throw your marinated wings on the grill for about 6 minutes a side or oven bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
- Toss the wings into your thickened version of your sauce. Plate with fresh limes.