Sometimes, you have left over meat from a meal or a party and have no clue what to do with it! I hosted a barbecue one day and was left with a ton of smoked brisket. I love brisket, but I did not want it to go to waste. Luckily, brisket is so versatile you can do anything with it! I was feeling Mexican, so I made these smoked brisket enchiladas.
This recipe is a GREAT way to use up LEFTOVER meat. It could be beef, chicken, and even pork! For the sauce, I found a can of enchilada sauce at the store. For this recipe I recommend red sauce as the base because it will go better with the mole. Mole (pronounced mol-leh) is actually a slightly sweeter sauce that is made with chocolate. It was this amazing smokey sweet flavor that is most commonly used on chicken. I thought this would be the perfect combination with the smokiness of the brisket. Mix 1 can of enchilada sauce with 1 jar of mole sauce and set aside.
For the meat, take your left over meat and lightly sauté with onions. This is an easy and flavorful way to reheat your meat.
Assembly is the most fun part! First you want to get an oven safe dish and spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce at the bottom. This keeps the tortillas from sticking to the dish in the oven. Next, gently warm your tortillas. This is best over the stove in a skillet for a bout 30 seconds for each tortilla. However, if. you are in a time crunch, a light microwave for 30 seconds will help too. This is so when you go to roll your tortillas, they do not break. You have to heat them to become malleable.
Next, dip your tortilla into the sauce. This makes sure the tortilla gets all of the yummy flavor and holds it shape. Add your meat and shredded cheese mixture to the dipped tortilla and roll. Once you have all your tortillas rolled, cover in sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
You want to bake these in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty. Top with a little sour cream and cilantro and enjoy!
Smoked Brisket Enchiladas
- 1 lb Left Over Meat (Mine was Smoked Brisket)
- 2-3 cups Shredded cheese Mozarella or Quesadilla blend
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 1 can Enchilada Sauce Large size
- 1 jar Mole (Pronounced Mol-Leh)
- Corn Tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Mix 1 can of enchilada sauce to 1 jar of mole sauce and set aside.
- Take your left over meat and sauté in a skillet with chopped onions. Cook until onions are translucent and meat is reheated. Set aside.
- Grab an oven safe dish and line with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce.
- Heat your tortillas on the stove or in the microwave to get them warm so they can roll easier without breakage.
- Dip a tortilla fully into the sauce and then add some meat and shredded cheese into the tortilla and roll together. Place the enchiladas into the dish.
- Once your dish is filled, cover with the remained sauce and cheese. Put in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Top with sour cream and cilantro!