A delicious way to enjoy the flavors of Fall!
One of my favorite times of the year is the holidays. And what is not better than to ring in the holidays starting off with Fall pumpkin season. There are endless ways to incorporate the mild sweetness of pumpkin into both sweet and savory dishes! As a lover of all things macaroni and cheese, I always try to find new ways on creating this dish. The key is to always have creamy cheese sauce, soft noodles, and a crispy topping. So I got into the kitchen and decided it was time to get experimenting to find a way to bring two of my favorite holiday staples together.
For this recipe, you can use either freshly roasted pumpkin or pre canned pumpkin puree. I am all for the latter, trying to save time where I can. I have found that flavor was not compromised using canned over fresh. If you want to use fresh, all you need to do is to roast your pumpkin with olive oil, salt, and pepper at 350 F until it is fork tender. GIve or take 40-50 minutes depending on the size.
The fun part of this recipe is that you can make it your own. You can add your favorite seasonings, or keep it more basic. For me, I wanted the aromatics such as garlic to stand out. You can add red peppers pureed if you want more sweetness.
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup Pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cloves garlic minced 2tbsp
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 4-6 oz cream cheese
- Salt to taste
- Bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- Sauté garlic with butter for about 30-40 seconds just to get it fragrant.
- I add the pepper flakes, then pumpkin purée, heavy cream and add 1/2 block of cream cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- It’s best to use room temp cream cheese.
- Add paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and your mozzarella!
- Mix and add your pasta!
- Heat up your oil or butter in a skillet on medium and gently toast your bread crumbs and seasoning until brown for 1-2 minutes.
Leave a Reply