One pan chicken dinners have to be one of my favorite weeknight dinners. They are easy and tasty. For this recipe, I absolutely love traditional Butter Chicken. I do not claim my version to be as authentic, however, it is heavily inspired by it and can be made with general grocery store items!
For this recipe, the seasoning mix is what is going to ultimately make the dish. In fact, there are 12 spices in the seasoning, but I know you will have most of these already in your pantry! I collect a lot of spices, so I did not have to leave my house for any, however at most you would need to get a couple! The seasoning mix is 1 tbsp each of the following: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, cumin, curry powder, garam masala (usually found in the international section of the grocery store), coriander, turmeric, paprika, and red pepper flake.
To marinate the chicken, add 1 cup of greek yogurt to your diced chicken and 1/2 of your seasoning mix. Save the other half, we will use it for later! Completely mix everything together. You can marinate this in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
Next, in a skillet on medium high heat, sauté your chicken with coconut oil or any oil of your preference. Next once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
Add butter and oil to the pan and sauté your garlic and chopped white onion. Once they become translucent after about a minute, add in your other half of seasoning mix and stir. Add in 6 oz of tomato paste and stir again. Finally add 1 cup of heavy cream. Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Then add 1 cup of greek yogurt. If you add the yogurt while the pan is too hot, it will curdle and break. You must let the sauce cool down slightly.
When you have your thick sauce, add your chicken back in and coat. You can serve this over rice and top with fresh coriander (cilantro) and red pepper flakes.
One Pan Easy Creamy Butter Chicken
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts Diced
- 1 Tbsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Ginger Powder, Cumin, Curry Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander, Turmeric, Paprika, and Red Pepper Flake. Half for the Marinade/Half for the Sauce
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Half of the Seasoning Blend Above
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 White Onion Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- Dice your chicken.
- In a mixing bowl, add diced chicken, greek yogurt, and half of the seasoning blend. Mix and marinate up to 4 hours in the fridge.
- In a skillet on medium high heat, sauté with coconut oil until chicken is cooked. Remove cooked chicken from pan.
- In the same skillet, add butter and coconut oil. Toss in garlic and onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the second half of the seasoning mix and tomato paste. Stir.
- Add in 1 cup of heavy cream and mix. Turn off heat and remove pan from stove. Stir the sauce for 1 minute to let it cool. Then add 1 cup of greek yogurt. DO NOT add the yogurt in while the pan is on the direct heat. It will curdle and break if the sauce is too hot.
- Once the sauce is thick and creamy, add the chicken back in and coat. Serve over rice and top with fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes.