Throughout my life, I have had many, many versions of cornbread. I have had classic, sweet, savory, spicy, yet; they all seemed to be missing something. I found that many of them were too dry or lacked good flavor. I came up with this recipe because I wanted to create a full flavored cornbread that would hit you with deliciousness with every bite. Mine is spicy and sweet and savory!
First, preheat your oven to 375. Next, in a large mixing bowl we are going to add our dry ingredients. I used corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Give this a good mix until it is combined.
In a separate mixing bowl. add your wet ingredients. I used buttermilk, but you can use whole milk regular, or half and half as a substitute. Add your buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, sour cream, and 2 eggs into the bowl and whisk together.
Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and toss in the jalapeños, green chilis, cheddar cheese, and onion. Give it one final mix! Pour this into a greased baking pan. Optional is to add sliced jalapeños at the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes and check to see if it is done by sticking a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean, it is done! Drizzle some butter and honey and enjoy!
My Favorite Spicy Green Chili Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 1/4 Cup Corn Meal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Stick Melted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Hot Sauce of Choice (I used Louisiana)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Diced Jalapeno
- 1 Small Can Diced Green Chilis
- 1/2 Cup Diced White Onion
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients and stir until it is all incorporated.
- Pour the mixed wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and add your "add-ins" (jalapeños, cheddar, green chilis, and onion)
- Combine all of this together until the mixture is well combined.
- In a greased baking dish, add in your cornbread mix. Optional is to add slivered jalapeños at the top.
- Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes. To test if it is done, poke a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it is ready!
- Serve with butter and honey!