Look no further for the newest food fusion! If you like Korean BBQ and Cheese burgers, then this recipe is for you. I was inspired by this restaurant I went to that had an Asian take on a burger, so I knew I had to make one myself. It is the perfect combination of the savory KBBQ beef and cheesiness of a classic cheese burger.
The first thing I did was season my ground beef. This is probably the most important step to make sure our burger reminds us of Korean BBQ. For this, I seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, beef bouillon, onion, and garlic powder. Then I added 1/4 cup of Korean BBQ sauce. This will give the burger patty some sweet and smokiness.
To pair with the burger patty flavors, I created a Gojuchang aioli. Gojuchang is a Korean type of chili paste. It has a mild spire but is packed full of a sweeter chili flavor. This is mixed in with some mayo and a little lime juice for acidity.
To cook the patties, I went with a soaks burger method. I wanted a nice char on the outside without putting them on the grill. To do this, I put some oil on a nonstick pan and let it get to a medium to high temperature. I want the pan to just start to get to a smoking point (light smoke!!). Next, I placed my patty down and pressed hard and evenly with a spatula. This will ensure a lot of the area of the burger gets that nice crisp and cooks evenly. For normal burgers I usually do medium, but for smash burgers I cook the meat all the way through.
I wanted my cheese burger to be extra cheesy, so I added some white cheddar cheese. I did not want a cheese too flavorful that it would over power the burger. White cheddar has the perfect amount of melt to flavor ratio. To make this burger even more gooey, I added a sunny-side up egg. I personally love a great yolk break, which I wanted for this burger. If you don’t want to add the egg, feel free not to. You can also customize this burger by adding other toppings as well. For example, caramelized onions are another great addition! Do not be afraid to go heavy on the sauce, it is what makes it! Serve with some seasoned fries and enjoy.
Korean Barbecue Cheese Burger
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Each:Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Beef Bouillon, Onion and Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Korean BBQ Sauce Mine is from Trader Joe's
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 1 tbsp Gojuchang Paste Usually in a local store in the Asian isle
- Juice of a Lime
- White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Brioche Burger Buns
- Butter Lettuce
- First, season your meat with the spices and barbecue sauce.
- Give this a mix and form into patties.
- Next, to make the aioli, add the mayo, Gojuchang paste, and lime juice into a bowl and mix.
- To make smash burgers, add oil to a pan and place your patty into the skillet. Take you spatula and press down hard and evenly. This will help the exterior of the burger get a nice char without going on a grill.
- Toast your buns and begin to assemble.
- Add your bun, sauce, butter lettuce, and patties.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook your over easy eggs. Place your egg on top of the burger and top with more sauce and the top bun. Enjoy!