If decadence and deliciousness met in one sandwich it would be this grilled cheese! This sandwich has caramelized onions with creamy gouda cheese, and a tasty garlic sourdough bread. Enjoy this easy grilled cheese that will have you begging for seconds and thirds!
This sandwich is so easy it only has a few parts. Part one is making the garlic butter for the bread. Take 2 tbsp of softened butter and add 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of dried parsley, 1 1/2 tsp of minced or grated garlic to the butter and stir.
Next, it is time to make the caramelized onions. First, take 1 onion and thinly slice it thinly so the onions cook evenly. On medium heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter and add your onions and 1 tsp of sugar. Cook your onions over the medium heat until they become tender and a darker brown color. This will take around 10-15 minutes, and stir periodically.
When the onions are done, set aside. Grate your gouda cheese and begin the sandwich assembly. First butter the first bread with 1/2 your garlic mixture and place into a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
Add your cheese and onions and carefully place the second buttered bread on top. Cook in your skillet until the bottom layer is golden brown and flip. Once the cheese is melty, remove from the skillet and enjoy!
French Onion Grilled Cheese
Garlic Butter Bread
- 4 Slices Sour Dough Bread
- 2 Tbsp Butter Softened
- 1 Tsp Each: Salt and Dried Parsley
- 1 1/2 Tsp Minced or Grated Garlic
- 2 Cups Shredded Gouda
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- In a small bowl, add softened butter, garlic, salt, and dried parsley. Mix thoroughly.
- Freshly grate your gouda into a bowl and set aside
- Thinly slice your onion so it will cook evenly.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of butter, onions, and sugar.
- Cook down for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat until onion are tender and dark brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Butter each side of bread with the garlic butter mixture.
- Place butter side down and add cheese and onions. Sprinkle some dried thyme on the onions. Top with a little more cheese and place the top bread.
- Cook on medium heat on a nonstick skillet until bread becomes golden brown and cheese becomes melty.