Summer time is fast approaching, and grilling season is here! What is better that flame-grilled chicken? It is hard for me to think of it. The smoky char on the chicken is something that is irresistible. These tacos are not your ordinary tacos, however, this may just be your best taco yet! Filled with gooey cheese, spicy jalapeño and smoky chicken, you are going to want to make these at all your next gatherings!
This recipe essentially has 3 parts, the chicken, the salsa, and the jalapeños. However this is the best part, all of it is on the grill and there is very little prep you have to do!
I use chicken thighs when I grill. They are slightly more fatty but pack way more flavor and tend to not dry out as much as a breast. In a large bowl, marinate your chicken thighs in the juice of 3 limes, 1/4 cup olive oil, and tbsp each of: salt, pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder chili powder, paprika, and Italian seasoning. This can be marinated several hours before and left in the fridge!
Go ahead and prep some of the other ingredients while your chicken marinates. When it is time to cook, grill chicken until internal temperature is 165 F. This is about 8-9 minutes a side on direct heat. If you think your chicken is cooking too fast, more to indirect heat or reduce the heat of the grill. Once they are done, we chop them into thin slices for the tacos!
On the heat of the grill, add your onion, tomatillos, lime, jalapeño, and Serrano to the heat of the grill. cook until a light char about 7-10 minutes. Place ingredients into a food processor or blender and add fresh cilantro, garlic, grilled lime juice, and salt. Blend together to get your salsa verde.
This part is so simple! Cut your peppers in half and de-seed. Lay your jalapeños into a cast iron on medium heat (slightly off the direct heat) stuff the peppers with your cheese and let that melt while you are cooking your chicken.
Remove when the cheese is melted and peppers slightly charred. Place first on the taco.
To assemble the taco, start with the cheesy jalapeño followed by the chicken, salsa, and optional toppings such as: pickled onions, queso fresco, and fresh cilantro!
Flame-grilled Chicken and Cheese Jalapeño Tacos
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 4-6 Chicken Thighs
- 1 Tbsp Each Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Chili Powder, and Italian Seasoning
- 6 Tomatillos
- 1/2 Small White Onion
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Serrano
- 2 Limes
- 1 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 4 Jalapeños halved and de-seeded
- 2 Cups Cheese of choice I used Oaxaca
- 10-12 Tortillas
- 1 Avocado
- Pickled Onions
- Queso Fresco
- Fresh Cilantro
- Place tomatillos, lime, onion, jalapeno, and Serrano on the grill and grill lightly for 7-10 minutes until the ingredients have a slight char to them.
- Remove your veggies from the heat and place into a blender. Add cilantro, juice of the grilled lime, fresh garlic, and salt. Blend. Pour into a bowl.
- Marinade your chicken with the chicken marinade ingredients. This can be marinating for several hours before or while your prep the rest of the recipe.
- On medium to high heat about 350-400 F grill, cook your chicken to 165 F internal about 8-9 minutes a side.
- Remove chicken from heat and let rest for a few minutes. Slice into pieces for the tacos.
- Slice your raw jalapeños in half and de-seed.
- Place evenly into a cast iron. Stuff with cheese (use whatever cheese you want but I used Oaxaca)
- Place on medium heat and let the cheese melt and jalapeños char while the chicken is on the grill
- Lightly grill your tortillas until they are warm (just a few minutes each side)
- Add your cheesy jalapeño, chicken, salsa verde. Then add any additional toppings such as avocado, pickled onions, queso fresco, and cilantro!