One of my most nostalgic menu items I order at a Chinese restaurant is Chinese BBQ Pork. I love the sweet and barbecue flavor over tender pork resting on fluffy white rice. The combination brings me back to then my parents took me to Chinese restaurants as a kid. I decided that I wanted to learn how to make this dish and I was surprised how easy it is! As I continue to find my identity through food, I wanted to make something that connected me to my heritage and my memories as a kid! This recipe really hits home for me and I love that now I can make it whenever I want!
First we need to make the marinade. You need hoisin sauce, soy sauce white sugar, Chinese 5 spice, honey, and red food coloring. Take your pork and place it into a glass bowl. Add half of your marinade to your pork and refrigerate for 2 hours up to overnight.
For your pork, I used a leaner pork tenderloin. You can cut and use a fattier piece of pork such as pork shoulder. It is up to personal preference! Preheat your oven to 475 F. Roast your pork on a rack. I found that roasting it on a rack allows all surfaces to nicely caramelize. Roast at 475 for about 10 minutes, then bring the temperature down to 350 and roast for another 30 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Slice to your liking and serve with fluffy white rice and vegetable of choice. I garnished mine with some sesame seeds and green onion.
Easy Sweet Braised Chinese Barbecue Pork
- 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 5-6 Drops Red Food Coloring
- 1 LB Pork Tenderloin
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- In a bowl, add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, honey, and red food coloring.
- Pour in half your marinade over the pork and save the rest for basting.
- Marinade for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Roast on a rack for 10 minutes at 475. Then reduce the heat and roast for 30 minutes or until pork is cooked at 165F.
- Baste every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with fluffy white rice and a veggie.