Pasta night is always a win in my house! With endless possibilities it is hard to decide what to make. This recipe is the perfect one that is easy, has a bit of heat, and full of melty cheese! The best part is the left overs are just as delicious as the first night. You can easily modify the spice level to a 1 all the way to a 10 depending on your taste and preference. This recipe is also Gluten Friendly!
For this recipe you will only need one pan and 1 baking dish. There are only a couple of things needed so cleanup is a breeze! In the skillet on medium to high heat with oil, sauté your garlic, shallot, and 1 diced jalapeño until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Next, add 8 oz of ground beef and 8 oz of sausage of your choice. I used spicy Italian, but you can also do mild. Start to break that down into your pan. Once the beef and sausage are broken down and sautéing, add your seasonings. I added salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, and red pepper flakes. Adjust your seasonings and spice to your liking!
Once your meat is seasoned and cooked, reduce the heat and add in some of your favorite marinara. I used a spicy one, but you can use a more mild one as well! Mix all of that together and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. I prefer to use the whole milk version not the low moisture as it melts better in my opinion. Toss in your cooked pasta and stir.
In a baking dish, add 1/2 of your pasta mixture, then a cheese layer. I used shredded cheese and make some cheese cubes as well to have a little extra cheese bomb. Add the remaining pasta mixture and top with more cheese. Bake at 375 until the top layer of cheese is golden brown and melty. Optional is topping it with some fresh parsley and red pepper flake!
Easy Spicy and Cheesy Penne Bake
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Minced Shallot
- 1 Diced Jalapeno
- 8 Oz Ground Beef
- 8 Oz Italian Sausage (I used Spicy)
- 1 Tsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne, Paprika, Chili Powder, Red Pepper Flake
- 1 Cup Favorite Marinara or Pasta Sauce
- 1 Box Penne Pasta (I used GF Pasta)
- 3-4 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Fresh Parsley
- Parmesan Cheese
- Red Pepper Flake
- Preheat Oven to 375F
- In a skillet on medium to high heat, sauté in oil your garlic, shallot, and jalapeño for about a minute.
- Add your ground beef and sausage and start to break it down. Once the meat is incorporated, season to your liking. Once the meat is cooked, reduce the heat to low.
- Add 1 cup of your favorite marinara and 1/2 cup of your shredded cheese.
- Mix thoroughly and toss in your pasta. Once everything is incorporated, add 1/2 of your pasta mix into a baking dish.
- Layer with cheese then the remaining pasta dish.
- Top is off with the remainder of your cheese and bake at 375 until the layer of cheese is melty and golden, about 15-20 minutes .