If you are looking for a delicious chicken dinner recipe, look no further. This recipe is so savory and rich. It is perfect with potatoes, rice, or a fun green veggie. I can attest that this is one of my best chicken recipes and my mom even ranked it the best dinner I have fixed for her! The whole family is going to love this to the point it may be requested every night of the week.
The first part of this recipe is creating the filling. It is only a few ingredients which is nice because it is simple yet so flavorful! First, dice your mushrooms and chop your spinach. In a pan with a little olive oil, cook down your mushrooms, spinach and garlic. This took maybe 2-3 minutes tops. Remove from heat and add your mixture to 8 oz softened cream cheese. Add 1/2 of pecorino romano cheese and a little salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
Next, we need to slice the chicken breasts. Mine were so thick, I sliced into thirds and then flattened, but on a normal sized chicken breast, you and slice 3/4 the way horizontally, open, and flatten. Your choice! Once the chicken is about 1/2 inch thick, lay out on some plastic wrap and stuff with the mushroom mixture. I used about 3-4 tbsp. Then gently wrap completely. Using the plastic wrap, I rolled the chicken to get a better shape. This part is optional.
In the same skillet on medium heat, sauté the chicken. I seasoned my chicken with a little Old Bay. Once you flip the chicken, cook for about 1-2 minutes, then add about 3/4 cup of chicken broth and cover to finish cooking. When the chicken is completely cooked, around 20 minutes total cooking time, remove the chicken from the pan. Next add heavy cream and a corn starch slurry (1/2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 tbsp water). This will help thicken the sauce without flour.
You can bake the chicken instead. Oven bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Additionally, if a little filling escaped and is in the pan, that is okay! It adds even more flavor to the sauce. When the sauce is thick, drizzle over chicken and garnish with chives. Enjoy!
Easy One Pan Creamy Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch Mixed with 1/2 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 Tbsp Old Bay
- 1 Cup Diced Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Chopped Spinach
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 8 Oz Softened Cream Cheese
- Chop your veggies and sauté in 1 tbsp of olive oil until they are tender and wilted.
- Add your veggies to 8 oz softened cream cheese, pecorino romano, and salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
- Slice and flatten your chicken breasts. Lay on a piece of plastic wrap and stuff with the filling mixture.
- Wrap so the filling does not come out. You can use the plastic wrap to help roll it into shape or even toothpicks.
- Saute in 1 tbsp of oil and season with some Old Bay. You can also oven bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Once you flip the chicken, cook for about 2 minutes, then add the chicken broth and cover with a lid. Allow it to continue cooking. Once the chicken is fully cooked (about 20 minutes total time), remove the chicken and add the heavy cream and cornstarch slurry to the pan.
- Once the sauce thickens, top it over the chicken and garnish with chives.