When it comes to Mac and cheese recipes, there are thousands out there. It can be hard to pick which one to make. I personally prefer gooey Mac and cheese that has unlimited cheese pulls. This recipe is for that creamy, and extra cheesy Mac and cheese that only requires a few ingredients. It is easy, can be made in one pot, and does not require a roux. Trust me, I have messed up so many rouxs before!
When making your Mac and cheese, first is to boil your pasta according to the box in boiling salty water. Once the pasta is cooked, remove from the pan and set aside keeping warm. Next, in the hot pan, reduce the heat to medium and we are going to add heavy cream.
Next, we want to add our seasonings! I like a well seasoned Mac and cheese, so I add a variety of spices including salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, Italian Seasoning, Chili Powder, and Cayenne for some heat. Once the seasonings and heavy cream are mixed well, we add our cheese. Turn off the heat of the pan before adding cheese. If the pan is too hot, the cheese and cream will separate.
Add half of your shredded cheese mixture. You can blend any cheese you want. I usually do cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or some variation of that. Give the cheese a stir and when the sauce becomes thicker and the cheese is melted, add back in your warm, cooked pasta.
Completely mix your Mac and cheese and when it is all incorporated, add the remaining half of cheese to the hot pasta. You are going to start seeing LOTs of delicious cheese pulls. Optional is to serve with toasted bread crumbs, bacon and chives for a fully loaded Mac and cheese! To make the bread crumbs, but gently heat 1/2 1 tbsp of butter with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in a skillet until they begin to change to a slightly darker color. Season with Italian Seasoning and remove from heat and set aside.
Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese (With No Roux)
- 1 Lb Pasta of Choice (can be GF friendly)
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Italian Seasoning, Chili Powder, and Cayenne
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheese of Choice (Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack)
- 2 Slices Bacon Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs with 1/2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Minced Chives
- Boil pasta in hot salty water. Remove pasta from water and keep warm.
- In the same pot or new skillet on medium heat, add 2 cups of heavy cream. Add seasonings of choice.
- Once the heavy cream gets to a simmer, turn off heat and add 2 cups of the shredded cheese mixture. Slowly let the cheese melt and thicken the sauce. We are not thickening it with a roux.
- Once the sauce is thicker, toss in your hot pasta and stir. When it is all incorporated, add your second half of the cheese into the pot.
- Stir in the cheese and watch the cheese pulls begin to form! Serve immediately with optional toppings such as bacon, bread crumbs, and chives
- To make the bread crumbs, but gently heat 1/2 1 tbsp of butter with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in a skillet until they begin to change to a slightly darker color. Season with Italian Seasoning and remove from heat and set aside.