Pasta night does not have to be unhealthy! When you think of your typical bolognese night, you might only think 12-20 grams of protein. But with a few simple swaps, you can get up to 53 grams of protein in 1 serving! I have been on a long fitness journey, and I have been increasing my protein. However, it can be daunting to have to think you need to eat more. Simple swaps with this recipe can add protein without making you feel like you are doubling your meal!
First, use 1 lb of lean ground turkey. To a hot skillet, sauté your turkey until cooked. Add 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp of salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning. Mix well. Then, pour in 1/2 jar of your marinara of choice! I used a no sugar added option!
When that is done, set aside. I used protein pasta to add extra protein. As someone who was not a fan of Banza before, I think I cracked how to use it properly. I found I always over cooked it which led it to falling apart very easily. The trick it to cook it al dente. Make sure it is not fully cooked before going into the oven. It will finish cooking in there.
For the cheese, instead of ricotta, I use low fat cottage cheese and blend it until smooth. It gives a ricotta texture and has delicious flavor! Mix your pasta, cheese, and turkey together in an oven safe dish. sprinkle 2 oz of low fat mozzarella. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes and broil for 5 (or until it is golden brown). Serve immediately and enjoy!
Easy High Protein Cheesy Pasta Bake
- 1 Lb Lean Ground Turkey 80/20 or 90/10
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Jar No Sugar Added Marinara
- 1 Box Banza Pasta
- 16 Oz Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 2 Oz Shredded Low Fat Mozzarella
- In a hot skillet, add your olive oil and sauté your ground turkey.
- Add your garlic and tomato paste. Toss in your seasonings and mix well.
- Pour in your marinara and mix well until turkey is cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour in your cottage cheese into a food processor or blender. Blend until a smooth texture like ricotta.
- In a large pot boil your pasta until it is al dente. In a large oven safe dish pour in your pasta, then the turkey and ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle your mozzarella on top and bake at 350 for 10 minutes until the cheese melts. Then broil for 5 minutes or until it becomes golden brown!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!