Hands down, one of my favorite Thai appetizers is a shrimp spring roll. I absolutely love the soft rice paper filled with delicious fresh veggies, vermicelli noodles, and shrimp dipped in the spicy peanut sauce. I could eat this every day. So, I decided to show you just how easy and tasty this snack can be! It is completely gluten and dairy free and involved NO cooking!
First, to make the sauce, add 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter. I like to use the crunchy kind but that is just personal preference. Then Add 1 tbsp of Soy sauce (Tamari if GF), 1 tsp of ginger paste and sesame oil, 1 tbsp of chili paste I like Samal Oelek, and 1 tsp at a time of hot water. Mix this together until it is the desired consistency. The hot water helps thin the sauce, so add it 1 tsp at a time until it is the right texture you want.
For the rolls, grate your carrots and chop cucumber, lettuce, purple cabbage, and avocado. For your vermicelli noodles, just cook according to the package in hot water. Then chill the noodles.
For your rice paper, gently soak in warm water until it becomes malleable. Lay it on a flat surface, and at the bottom of the paper, add your veggies and a spoonful of noodles.
Near the top of the paper, leaving a gap, add 3 cooked and chilled shrimp. You can get these at the supermarket in the seafood section! Like a burrito, roll the bottom portion then fold in the sides. Carefully roll all the way up. The shrimp will appear on the top of the roll! Dip in that peanut sauce and enjoy!
Easy Healthy Shrimp Rice Paper Spring Rolls
- 4 Rice Papers Round
- 12 Cooked and Chilled Shrimp
- 1 Cup Vermicelli Noodles Chilled
- 2/3 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 2/3 Cup Lettuce (Spring Mix or Butter Lettuce)
- 2/3 Cup Cucumber
- 2/3 Cup Shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1 Sliced Avocado
- 2 Heaping Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp Chili Paste Samal Oelek
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1-4 Tsp Hot Water
- Pre chop and slice veggies.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to package and chill.
- For the peanut sauce, mix ingredients into a bowl. Add hot water 1 too at a time to thin out the sauce.
- Gently soak your rice paper until it is soft and lay flat on the surface.
- Add veggies and noodles at the bottom of the rice paper and lay 3 shrimp 3/4 of the way toward the top.
- Carefully roll the bottom up, then fold in the edge. Then, roll over the shrimp. It is similar to rolling a burrito and having the shrimp at top will make them show through the paper.
- Enjoy with the peanut sauce!