Imagine this, you are going to have some friends over for a fun cocktail and wine night but you have no idea what to serve! You do not want to put out chips and salsa again, but do not have a lot of time to prepare something delicious. Well, this recipe will save you! This easy and wallet friendly appetizer will show guests you can make a decadent dish with limited ingredients and little planning!
First, take 1 tbsp of butter and heat it over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add your chopped leeks and cook down, about 3-5 minutes. You do not want them fully cooked, just slightly tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Next take our your pre-made puff pastry and let it thaw. Carefully roll it out with a rolling pin to thin it out. Cut your puff pastry into smaller squares. I got 6 square out of mine, but if you want a smaller bite sized piece, then cut into smaller sections.
About 1/2 in from the edge, gently make an indentation border around each piece. This will allow the crust to puff more around the edges. Take a fork and gently poke several holes throughout each square.
In the middle of the square, add your shredded gouda cheese. Layer your ham (I used Black Forest) on top of the cheese. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top, then add your leeks and some fresh thyme. Give the exposed edges a light egg wash and bake in the oven at 375 on a lined baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes, or until your puff pastry is golden brown.
Easy and Decadent Ham and Leek Puff Pastry
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 Leek
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Shredded Gouda Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Ham (Black Forest)
- Fresh Thyme
- 1 Egg
- Thinly chop your leeks. Add to 1 tbsp of butter in a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
- Cook leeks for 3-5 minutes until slightly tender and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Thaw your puff pastry according to the box.
- Gently roll out puff pastry and cut into squares. I got 6 larger squares, but you can opt for bite size as well.
- 1/2 inch from the edge, gently indent a border of each square. Poke several holes in each puff pastry square.
- In the middle of the pastry square, add gouda, ham, and top with gouda. Next, add buttered leek and fresh thyme.
- Give the edges and light egg was and bake on a lined baking sheet at 375 for about 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed up.