If you want to enjoy your favorite chicken dish in soup form, this is it! It has such a wonderful burst of citrus and caper flavor with the richness of the chicken stock sauce. Chicken Piccata is one of my favorites, so making it in soup form was the first go-to for me!
This soup takes minimal effort, and can be done within 30-45 minutes. If you want more flavor, simmer on low for longer. First, season your chicken. I season mine with an all purpose seasoning. In a hot pan, sauté your chicken in a little olive oil until each side is golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside. You will be putting the chicken back into the soup, so it is okay if it is not fully done.
Add 2-3 tbsp of butter. (OPTIONAL*** add 1 tbsp of flour to create a roux. You can also not do the flour, and do a cornstarch slurry when it is simmering which is gluten friendly. This will thicken your soup if you desire). Toss in your onions and garlic and stir. Pour in your chicken stock or bone broth. I used 1 box carton of bone broth. Add your chicken back into the soup and simmer with a little lemon juice.
Once your chicken is tender, shred it. Then add your heavy cream, capers, parsley, and lemon zest. Simmer on low for a little longer (5-20 minutes) up to you. Remove from heat and serve with lemon and parsley!
Easy and Creamy Chicken Piccata Soup
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Diced White Onion
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth or Bone Broth
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3.5 Fl. Oz Capers
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Minced Parsley
- *Optional 1 Tbsp Flour or a corn starch slurry
- Season your chicken.
- Sauté in your soup pot until each side is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Add 2-3 tbsp of butter. Optional is to add some flour to make a roux for it to be thicker.
- Toss in your onions and garlic and cook until the butter is brown and fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add in your chicken stock and lemon juice. Let this simmer until the chicken is tender. Take it out to shred and put it back in to simmer.
- Pour in heavy cream, capers, parsley, and lemon zest.
- Let simmer on low for 5-20 minutes. The longer the time the more flavor!
- Serve with lemon and parsley!