It is no surprise that air fryer potatoes are hands down my favorite way to enjoy potatoes. The process can be long, but I have found a delicious way to enjoy these that cuts the time down! They are a fun take on sour cream and onion flavors and can be made in the air fryer. It is an easy way to make delicious appetizers!
First, get yourself a bag of golden potatoes. I like the bag because usually they are a bit smaller. You want to find potatoes about 3- 4 inches long. Since twice baked potatoes are not peeled, thoroughly wash your potatoes with warm water and a bit of soap and scrub. Once washed, pat dry and season with olive oil and garlic salt.
Preheat your air fryer to 390. I fit 7 potatoes in my air fryer without over crowding. You do NOT need to pierce the potato. Air fry for about 20-30 minutes or until fork tender. While the potatoes are frying, dice one onion and sauté with 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp of salt, and 2 tsp of sugar. These will caramelize nicely. Set aside.
Once your potatoes are done, let cool for about 5-10 minutes until you can comfortably hold them. Cut potato in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the center without piercing the sides or the bottom of the potato. Put all of the insides in a bowl and add butter, heavy cream, sour cream, caramelized onions, and garlic salt. Mix well. Restuff the potatoes. Sprinkle on a little cheese. Re-air fry for 10 minutes for the cheese to melt. Sprinkle with chives and enjoy!
If you only have an oven, you can do this by baking at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Follow instructions and rebake for 10-15 until the cheese is melted.
Easy Air Fryer Sour Cream and Onion Twice Baked Potatoes
- 10 Small Golden Potatoes 3-4 inches in length
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- Cooked Potato Insides
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- Caramelized Onions
- 3-4 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Whole Diced Yellow Onion
- t Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Oz Shredded Cheese of Choice
- Wash and dry potatoes with skins ON.
- Season with oil and garlic salt.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 390 F.
- Air Fry potatoes about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté your diced onion with oil, salt, and sugar, Let caramelize and set aside.
- Remove cooked potatoes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the centers without breaking the skin or sides.
- Add the potatoes to the filling mixture and mash together.
- Refill the potatoes with the mixture and top with some cheese. Re-air fry for 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Top with chives
- If you are doing this in the oven, bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Then proceed through the recipe. Rebake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melty.