When it comes to Chinese Street food this is one of the simplest and most delicious. I am on a journey to reconnect with my traditional Chinese heritage through food. When I was 1 year old, I was adopted from Nanjing, China. I remember nothing of the time, but grew up in a loving American Family. My sister (not blood related but also adopted from China) and I grew up on American classics. While still having exposure to Chinese food, we knew little of it. With the Lunar New Year approaching, I want to learn more about my background being Chinese.
These scallion pancakes are absolutely delicious. They were easier than I thought to make and I love how savory they are. The dough was only a few ingredients. First mix your dough, water, salt, and Chinese 5 spice. Knead into a dough and set aside covered for 30 minutes. If the dough seems too dry, firs make sure you continue kneading it. If it is still too dry, then add a little water 1 tbsp at a time.
Next, while the dough sits, add some flour, oil, Chinese 5 spice, salt, and scallions. Mix well and set aside. Next, roll out the dough on a flat oiled surface. Spread the scallion mix on the inside of the pancake and gently roll it up. Cut the pancake into slices and press down.
Fry each piece in some oil until the outside is slightly golden brown and crispy. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!
Delicious and Authentic Chinese Scallion Pancakes
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Hot Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt and Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 Cup Scallions
- Knead the dough ingredients together. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Mix filling ingredients together to a paste like consistency. Then add in the scallions.
- Gently roll out the dough on an oiled surface until it is a 1/4 Inch thick. Spread the scallion paste on the dough and roll length wise.
- Cut pieces off the roll and gently press down until flat. Fry in oil until each side is golden brown and lightly crispy.
Leave a Reply