What is crispy, cheesy, and full of bacon? These potato bombs! I bet you did not think potatoes could get any better, but this recipe is about to change that. I love loaded baked potatoes, so why not make them into a handheld delicious appetizer?
This recipe is full of the classic loaded potato flavors but extra crispy. It is actually really easy to make these which is the best part.
Boiling and Seasoning
For the potatoes, peel and cut them into 3rds. This helps the potato boil quicker and more evenly. Once your potatoes are cooked, it is time to season. You can pretty much season with whatever you want. I added sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, and dried parsley. Feel free to get creative with it. I also added 1 tbsp of tapioca flour. You can also use potato starch, or corn starch instead.
Once you mash your potatoes, it is time to set up our stuffing station. I stuffed mine with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon. I rolled my potatoes into the size of about a golfball. Then I made an impression with my thumb to fit the cheese and bacon. Lastly I rerolled my potatoes to make a ball again.
Next, set up your breading and frying station. I put mine in gluten free flour and breadcrumbs, so mine were gluten free. You do not need to use gluten free products and All Purpose flour and Italian Bread crumbs work great! Scramble your raw eggs into a bowl to make an egg wash. This helps the bread crumbs stick together. Start with the flour, then eggs, and lastly bread crumbs.
I get a lot of questions about AIRFRYING. I will be completely honest, I would not airfry these. The texture and oil just gives the breading the desired crispiness. It is like oven baked fried chicken. It is good, but just not the same. Fry each ball for about 2 minutes, until they are golden brown.
Sour Cream Sauce
For the green onion sour cream sauce, mix together sour cream, mayo, green onion, Cajun seasoning or seasoning of your choice, and a little lemon juice. This is the perfect creamy sauce that goes perfectly with any loaded potato! Enjoy these as appetizers or along side your protein and veggies of choice!
Crispy Loaded Potato Bombs
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- 12 cubes Cheddar Cheese
- 3 slices Bacon
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Dried Parsley
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3-4 cups Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Flour of choice
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp Seasoning of choice
Sour Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1/4 cup Chopped Green Onion
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Desired Seasoning
- FIrst peel and boil your potatoes. For a quicker cook, cut potatoes into 1/3s.
- Next, boil potatoes until tender.
- Mash potatoes and add a little sour cream, butter, and desired seasonings.
- Roll the potatoes into little golfball sized balls and stuff with cheese and bacon.
- Once all your balls are rolled about 10-12 balls, lightly coat in flour. Then move to egg wash, and lastly the bread crumbs. Place them on your tray and heat up the oil for frying.
- Fry on medium to high heat in oil for about 2 minutes a ball or until they are golden brown. You do not want the oil too high, otherwise the outside will get brown before the inside cheese has time to melt.
- For the sauce, mix sour cream, mayo, green onion, seasonings, and lemon juice together.
- Serve Immediately