If you are wanting to try one of the most delicious food fusions, then I suggest you try this recipe! It is absolutely the best appetizer bite I have ever made! You have delicious and cheesy Mac and cheese that has a subtle heat with the Korean Chili paste. It is easy to make and can be done ahead of time.
First, you want to make your Mac and cheese. I actually made mine the day before and refrigerated it. It broke up the process and made it easier to spread out on two days. Since your Mac and cheese has to cool, it was perfect overnight in the fridge rather than putting it in the freezer. First, to a pan, add oil, minced garlic, and your Gojuchang paste. Let that start to break down at medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Then, add your heavy cream, seasoning blend, and stir. When the chili paste has incorporated with the heavy cream, reduce heat to a low simmer and add your grated cheese. I used mozzarella, white cheddar, and regular cheddar!
Toss in your cooked pasta and stir until the noodles are fully coated! Set this in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for 2 hours (or until cooled and able to roll into a ball.)
To fry, first take about 2 heaping tablespoons of the cold Mac and cheese and roll into a ball. For extra cheesiness, I added some shredded cheddar in the middle and mixed it in the ball. Mine were slightly bigger than a golf ball. Make sure that they are tightly rolled into a compact ball to avoid them breaking while frying.
Once they are all shaped, dip the ball in some egg, and coat with bread crumbs. You can make this dish completely GF by using GF pasta and bread crumbs like me! Mine were 100% Gluten Free! Fry in oil for about 5 minutes or until the outside is gold brown and the cheese is melted. Set on a rack to slightly cool.
To garnish, I made a gojuchang mayo with gojuchang paste, mayo, lime juice, and water. Sprinkle with green onion and enjoy!
Crispy and Cheesy Gojuchang Mac and Cheese Balls
- 1 Box Macaroni Noodles or GF Noodles
- 1 Tbsp Gojuchang paste
- 2-2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Cups Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella, Cheddar, White Cheddar)
- 1 Tsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Red Chili Flakes, Paprika, Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 2-3 Scrambled Raw Eggs
- 2 Cups Bread Crumbs or GF Bread Crumbs
- 4-6 Cups Fry Oil
- 1/4 Cup Mayonaise
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Gojuchang Paste
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- Green Onions
- In your skillet, heat up garlic and gojuchang paste. Let the paste start the break down and slightly liquify.
- Then, add your heavy cream and seasonings. When the sauce has fully combined, lower the heat and add your grated cheese. Mix until the sauce is creamy and thick. Toss in your cooked pasta and stir until the noodles are coated.
- Place in the refrigerator or overnight or in the freezer for 2 hours. You want the sauce and noodles to be cold, not frozen so you can shape them into balls.
- Make slightly larger than golfball sized balls and stuff with extra cheddar if desired.
- Dip into an egg mixture and then coat in bread crumbs. Fry in oil for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the coating is golden brown. Set on a rack to slightly cool
For the Optional Sauce
- Mix mayo, water, lime, and gojuchang into a bowl and drizzle on the Mac balls.
- Sprinkle with green onion