As someone who does not frequent the drive through that much, there is one item I will without hesitation get in the car to go get. That is the McDonald’s breakfast hash brown. There is something about their small crispy hash browns that are out of this world. I was experimenting in the kitchen one day and came up with my own version that had the same crispy outside and fluffy interior as their famous breakfast menu item.
For this recipe, it makes about 6-8 hash browns and uses only 3 ingredients! You will only need 2 russet potatoes, 1 egg, and 1 tbsp of cornstarch, it is that easy!
The first part of the recipe is to prepare our potatoes. I peeled my potatoes and cut them into thirds. I find that cutting them into thirds allows them to cook quicker and more evenly. Next is to parboil them. That just means we are only cooking them partially. The rest of the cooking will be done in the frying process.
I boiled my potatoes for 8-10 minutes. Once your time is up, drain the water from the pan and let them cool for about 5 minutes. This will make it easier when you grate them, so you do not burn yourself. In a large bowl, grate your potatoes.
Next, make a small well in the potatoes and crack your 1 egg and add 1 tbsp of cornstarch. You are going to thoroughly mix this. It does get a bit sticky, but that is how we want it! Once the potato mixture is fully mixed, shape them on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
We are going to freeze these for 45 minutes. You do not need to freeze these completely, but I find that it is helpful in holding their shape in the frying process. If you do not freeze them partially, they make break easier in the oil. Lastly, heat up your oil and fry. For 3 hash browns at a time, mine took about 10 minutes to fry. I wanted to make sure they were extra crispy when they came out! Do not fry on the hottest setting, because this will burn the outside before the inside is cooked. Fry on medium to high heat. Once they are done frying you can add a pinch of salt which is optional!
Copy Cat Crispy McDonald’s Hash Browns
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
- First, peel your russet potatoes. Next, cut them into 1/3s.
- Boil your potatoes partially for 10 minutes in boiling water.
- Once the potatoes are partially cooked, let sit for 5 minutes to cool, then grate.
- In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, 1 egg and 1 tbsp cornstarch to the cooled potatoes.
- Mix the potatoes, but know it does get a little sticky.
- Take a parchment lined baking sheet and shape your hash browns. Next, freeze for 45 minutes.
- In a shallow pan, add 2 cups of frying oil (vegetable or canola) and fry until golden brown.
- Optional: add a pinch of salt to the finished hash browns and serve with ketchup