When I went to Mexico City, I had some of the best food. It was so unique and flavorful. One of my favorite dishes were these volcanes. It was so incredible and they were generously cheesy! The recipe itself is simple, yet these are the best if you have a few simple ingredients! To watch this video and see our street food adventure, check out our vlog here!!
In my video, I made a skirt steak. For this simple marinade, I used a marinade of chipotle peppers canned, 1 can of tomato paste, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. I put all of this in a blender with some water to thin it out and put it on my meat and let it sit marinating over night! This is not a traditional marinade, but it makes it taste great on the grill! You can also use pre-marinated meat as well!
I threw mine on the grill around 350F until the thickest part was about 130F. This yields a lovely medium. Once that is done, let your steak rest for at least 30 minutes. Cut and dice into fine cubs.
Volcanes are basically 3 ingredients: tostada, lots of shredded cheese, and delicious protein. The ones I had were carne asada. Ours were only adorned with 3 varieties of salsa, but I wanted to add more to mine. Place the tostada on a hot skillet and add cheese, diced meat, and more cheese! Cover and let the cheese melt. Then once it is ready, it is time it top!
I added onion, cilantro, fresh homemade guacamole, and pickled onion. Eat these while they are hot and enjoy cheesy goodness.
Amazing and Cheesy Volcanes with Marinated Steak
- 1 Lb Flank or Skirt Steak
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheese
- Diced White Onion
- Pickled Onions
- 6 Oz Tomato Paste
- 7 Oz Canned Chipotle Peppers
- 1/2 White Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp Each: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic, Powder, Italian Seasoning
- 3 Ripe Avocados
- 1 Jalapeño Diced
- 1/2 Smalled Diced Red Onion
- 1 Roma Tomato Diced
- 1/4 Cup Minced Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Juice of 3 Limes
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Add marinade ingredients into a blender with 1 cup of water and blend until a thin paste. Pour this over your raw steak and let sit in a refrigerator at least 4-6 hours up to one night.
- Grill meat on grill around 350F until done to likeness or internal temperature is 130F (Medium).
- Remove meat from grill and let rest for 30 minutes.
- On a skillet, place your tostadas down and add your cheese, cooked meat, and more cheese. Place a lid over the skillet just to melt the cheese. Remove from pan.
- Add toppings or salsa of choice. I liked onion, cilantro, and guacamole.
Leave a Reply